All of those stepping-to-the-ledge feelings got jacked up a notch today when they posted our bib numbers. I am #808. Getting my number makes it even more real. 808. It puts me on the map, so to speak. I'm officially racing with an official number. It's all official now!
Of course a number can't be just a number, it has to have meaning. 808: Is it significant in some way? What does it say about me and my chances of success? Could it bring me luck? A quick Google search turned up some possible answers.
The Urban Dictionary defines 808 this way:
| 1. The penal code for disturbing the peace. Refers to the sound of bass from stereos. 2. An 808 refers to a drum machine called a Roland TR-808. 3. Sometimes a reference to Hawaii. 808 is Hawaii's area code. In fact, 808 became Hawaii's area code shortly after its statehood in 1959. So it's a number with staying power.Maybe that means I will have the endurance needed to go the distance.... nice thought. Or...I'll be as steady as an 808 drumbeat, cranking up the intensity enough to be cited for disturbing the peace! Oh yes. Or perhaps meaning can be found in the Pace Suburban Bus Route 808, which runs from Crystal Lake to Harvard. Harvard makes me think of being smart, so maybe it means I will race smart. Then again, it's a bus route, so maybe I'll be making a lot of stops. =S On the other hand, the bus could represent the journey and slow and steady progress to one's destination, in this case, the finish line. :) I'll go with that one. Of course, the most obvious 808 in the triathlon world is the Zipp 808 wheel. Zipp describes it this way: "Ridden by Jordan Rapp to a win at Ironman Canada 2009, the 808 clincher excels whenever the situation calls for an all-around wheelset with a heavy dose of aero attitude" Maybe I'll be riding aero with a heavy dose of attitude. Now that's what I'm talkin' about! | ||
No comments:
Post a Comment