Just got back from watching the Space Shuttle Atlantis blast off into the history books. That's it, the final shuttle launch, something that will never happen again. It was so very cool to be there covering this milestone for the U-S space program. Assignments like this one make me love my job.
...but topping it all was meeting and interviewing Bob Crippen, pilot of the very first shuttle mission (Columbia in April 1981). Crip, as they call him, has flown 4 shuttle missions, logged over 500 hours in space, orbited the earth 374 times, and traveled more than 9 million miles! The guy is a legend!
The day before the launch, it stormed all day. Fortunately, they set up a tent for me to stand under so I wouldn't get drenched during hours of live shots. We were in front of the countdown clock and you could see the shuttle across the lagoon.
On launch day, NASA almost called it off because of the bad weather. But somehow we lucked out and managed to have just enough of a break for Atlantis to launch. It was a long day -- wake up call of 2 AM, then standing in one spot the entire day for live shots. But it was all worth it because at 11:28AM, Atlantis roared off the launchpad toward the heavens.
I must note that my tri training came in handy on this assignment. To beat the heat and humidity, I wore tops made of "wicking" fabric, drank lots of water, and popped some Endurolytes to keep from getting dehydrated.
When I finally made it home I collapsed on the couch and slept for several hours, woke up and practiced changing my bike tires, then went to bed! Had to get the tire changing practice in because Musslemania is in one week!! woooohoooo!


No comments:
Post a Comment