Thursday, December 9, 2010

Taking the First Step

Crazy me. I signed up for Ironman Arizona! The first question is....why? Why would anyone want to put themselves through a grueling year's worth of training, in all kinds of weather, for one day of suffering through a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, 26.2 mile run? All of that, plus the risk of not making it to the finish line by the stroke of midnight.

Well....it's complicated. Perhaps over the course of the next 300-something days I'll be able to explain it. But the surface answer is that I have a big birthday coming up in 2011 and it warrants a big challenge. My original plan was to hike up Mt. Kilimanjaro that week, but that plan changed when I got an offer to make the trek with a group of people in February (more about that in future blog posts). So the question then became, what will I do for my birthday, which isn't until December? Ironman Arizona is just a couple of weeks before....and it's definitely a huge challenge, so IMAZ it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment